Last updated on May 22nd, 2023 at 10:56 am
The scientific name of the Sweet Pea flower is Lathyrus Odoratus. ‘Lathyrus’ is a Greek word meaning pea or pulse, and the Latin word ‘Odoratus’ means fragrant.
In the 17th century, a wandering Franciscan monk discovered the sweet pea flower. The famous poet Keats (1795 – 1821) named this flower ‘Sweet Pea.‘
In Edwardian England, sweet pea flowers were the floral emblems. These flowers were a must at most dinner parties and weddings. Sweet pea flowers became very popular in the Victorian Age because they had charming colors and a pleasant fragrance.
But it is also true that every species of this flower is not scented. The shape of a sweet pea flower is like a butterfly, and it has five petals. This flower starts to blossom from spring end till the beginning of summer. The aroma of a sweet pea flower is like candy. Its plant is a climbing plant like a garden pea and has tendrils. A sweet pea plant can grow up to 6 to 8 feet (2.44 m) if it gets support.
What does the Sweet Pea flower symbolize?
If you consider the language of flowers, the sweet pea flower meaning is a blissful pleasure. These flowers grow in clusters and stand upright and symbolically for farewells, good wishes, kindness, and friendship.
When you look at these flowers in full bloom, a sense of positivity will fill your soul. The sweet pea flower also stands for gratitude, and you can give them to thank someone. This flower is considered to be the official birth flower for April.
All in all, the sweet pea flower symbolic meanings are:
- blissful pleasure
Meaning of the Sweet Pea flower colors
White or cream-colored sweet pea flowers mean tranquility, gratefulness, and innocence. You can give someone Royal Weddings, Cream Southourne, and White Supreme sweet pea flowers to express gratitude for their help and support.
Red symbolizes fearlessness, passion, love, longing, and strong emotions. A red sweet peas flower’s meaning is very distinct too. If you are going to meet a person you are falling for a dinner date with, you may do well by carrying a bouquet of red sweet pea flowers. Giving these flowers means you enjoy their company and are thankful for it, and you will see them again soon!
A renaissance or watermelon sweet pea flower symbolizes youth, cheerfulness, fineness, attractiveness, and love. Pink sweet peas are popularly used in decorating marriage venues and arranging wedding bouquets because the color is not extravagant and loud but adorably soft.
You can give purple sweet pea flowers to show someone you admire and respect them. If you want to tell someone how their personality or success has impressed you, you can reasonably do that by giving them these purple flowers.
Interesting facts about the Sweet Pea flowers
- A sweet pea smells different at different times of the day. Weather and its age affect the smell too.
- Some cultures believe sweet peas possess magical properties. It can make a person spiritually strong and wise.
- The shape of a sweet pea flower is like a butterfly.
- It is the first-ever crossbreed flower species, done way back in 1882.
- Sweet peas became a floral sensation in the Victorian Age and were the Edwardian era’s floral emblem.
- The Aegean Islands, Southern Italy, and Sicily have their native habitats.
- In the past, people used this flower as a perfume by attaching it to a button-hole or carrying it in a pocket.
- Though sweet pea seeds look like seeds of green peas, they are inedible and toxic. It has a neurotoxin.
- Because it has a self-pollinating ability, the sweet pea flower contributed to the study of genetics and the field of medicine.
- Sweet Peas can be used as a natural fly deterrent.
- According to Numerology, this flower falls under the number 5 and the planet Mercury.
How to grow Sweet Pea flowers
Sweet peas give gardens a homey vibe. For many of us, fast-growing sweet peas bring back memories of gorgeous, boisterous old-fashioned gardens. These vintage varieties were chosen for their brilliant colors and strong aroma.
- Plant the sweet peas in rich, well-drained soil with a slightly alkaline pH.
- Choose a spot with full sun to thrive.
- Water weekly to keep the soil moist during the growing season.
- Apply high-in-potassium fertilizer monthly.
How to care for Sweet Pea flowers
- Mulch well to keep the soil cool and moist, so there’s no need to water the plant unless the soil gets dry.
- Apply high potash feeds to add nourishment.
- Pinch off the tops when plants are 6 inches tall to encourage bushy growth.
- Deadhead the spent flowers to promote more blooms.
Best time to gift Sweet Pea flowers
You can give sweet pea flowers to others whenever you want. These flowers are considered a good omen and can be gifted to the bride at a wedding, wishing her good luck. This is especially practiced in France.
Sweet pea flowers are believed to be April’s birth flowers, so they can be an ideal gift for any friend or family member whose birthday is in April.
These flowers also stand for bidding farewell. You can give a bunch of sweet peas to someone about to start a journey.
Sweet pea flowers also signify friendships; you can give them to someone you want to be friends with or someone already a friend.
These flowers are also great gifts when you want to show someone you are grateful to them and appreciate them. When you want to remind a loved one that you care and are thinking about them, you only need to send them a bouquet of sweet peas.
When you are shy or uncomfortable expressing your feelings through words, on most occasions, a bouquet of sweet pea flowers will do the job for you.
While the sweet peas don’t have the same wide applications as some flowers do regarding food and drink, it’s incredibly versatile in arrangements and bouquets.
Sweet pea flowers complement other flowers well. Their upright growth habit also makes them good cut flowers for bouquets. You can put them in vases, bouquets, and more elaborate arrangements.
If you want to know and learn more about flowers, we at PansyMaiden can help you. Check out our fun, easy-to-read, and informative flower-related content that you will surely enjoy!