Last updated on May 20th, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Also known as Dianthus caryophyllus, carnations are the more popular name for this variety of flowers. Another dianthus species, Sweet Williams, is much less known.
Dianthus is also one of the oldest flowers that have been documented historically. The word dianthus comes from the Greek word for God, ‘Dios,’ and ‘Anthos,’ which means flower. For this reason, this flower is known as the ‘flower belonging to the Gods.’ This name was given to the plant by Theophrastus, a Greek botanist who found the plant simply divine.
Dianthus flowers have also been used to make various crowns and wreaths. Since then, this flower has gone on to inspire many artists. There are several dianthus flower meanings; however, this flower is most commonly associated with joy and abundance.
Dianthus flowers have been cultivated for centuries across many countries in Asia as well as Europe. Some varieties of dianthus have also been used in Chinese medicines.
What does the Dianthus flower symbolize?
Dianthus flowers are associated with feelings of love as well as affection. If you’re grateful to someone in return for something they did for you, then you can thank them with a dianthus flower.
This flower also symbolizes admiration. The dianthus flower means showing people that you care about them and enjoy having them in your life.
Historically, dianthus flowers have signified different things. To people who lived in Victorian England, the dianthus was a flower given to someone you loved or wanted to show gratitude to.
Dianthus flowers today can commonly be seen in floral wedding designs. People enjoy expressing their love for one another by using this flower at weddings.
The dianthus flower is also known as the ‘divine flower.’ This is because this flower has, for a long time, been associated with the Gods. Gifting someone a dianthus flower signifies that you are grateful for their help.
All in all, the dianthus flower symbolic meanings are:
Meaning of the Dianthus flower colors
The purple dianthus flowers symbolize spirituality and intuition. This color variety of the dianthus is also associated with luxury. If you think highly of someone, you can also present them with a purple dianthus.
The red dianthus flowers signify deep love and passion. The red color represents the profound love that exists between two people. If you love someone deeply, then give them a red dianthus.
The white dianthus flower meaning includes innocence as well as purity. It also indicates pure love. The white dianthus can be given to anyone who you admire. This flower can indicate platonic love as well, as well as the love between family and friends.
The pink dianthus flower represents youth, beauty, creativity, and joy in life. This flower can be given to anyone who makes you happy and who you feel grateful for being in your life.
The yellow dianthus conveys joy as well as cheerfulness. If you feel like certain people bring joy to your life, present them with a yellow dianthus.
Interesting facts about the Dianthus flowers
- The dianthus is a flower that has been treasured since antiquity. This flower is known for being easy to cultivate, for having freshness that is long-lasting, as well as for its fragrance.
- The epithet for this plant means bearded. Many people believe that the dianthus received this name from the growth representing a beard found in the flower’s center. However, this growth is usually the stamen of the plant.
- The carnation is the most popular dianthus flower. It was believed that this flower was first cultivated as early as the 16th century in Valencia, Spain, by the Moors. Later, by the 18th century, florist shops introduced this flower to Europe.
- Another interesting fact about dianthus flowers is that they are, in fact, edible. They can be used when making a large number of dishes.
- In Chinese medicine, the dianthus flower is used as an important diuretic. It was also used to treat infections of the urinary tract.
- Dianthus flowers also carry a unique scent, which is why they are used to make essential oils.
How to grow Dianthus flowers
Dianthus flowers are perfect for adding to home gardens. These flowers also tend to attract a large number of hummingbirds as well as bees and butterflies.
- Plant the dianthus in well-drained soil.
- Place them in a full-sun location where they receive at least 6 hours of sunlight daily.
- Water new plants once a week.
- Apply an all-purpose liquid fertilizer during the growing season every 4-6 weeks.
How to care for Dianthus flowers
- Refrain from watering your dianthus if the soil is still moist.
- Apply a slow-release pellet-form fertilizer in the spring.
- Pinch or cut dead flowers to inhibit seed production and promote more blooming.
- Cut flowers stem back to the ground at the end of the growing season.
- After the first hard frost, apply a 4-inch layer of dry mulch and remove it in the spring when new growth develops.
Best time to gift Dianthus flowers
You can gift dianthus flowers at any time. These flower meanings include showing gratitude as well as admiration for someone. You can also show your deep love by gifting this flower.
Any time you feel that you’re grateful for the people in your life or that you love someone deeply, give them a dianthus flower.
It is believed that the Romans were responsible for bringing dianthus to Europe. By the 15th century, gardeners in England were cultivating dianthus at home.
The dianthus flower is associated with the divine, which is why this flower also symbolizes divine protection and spiritual insight. Honesty, integrity, and faith can also be seen as dianthus flower meanings. The dianthus flower’s meaning can change depending on the color and variety of dianthus you choose to give. Usually, however, the color will help determine the dianthus flower’s meaning and symbolism.