The carnal flower, more popularly known as the tuberose is a bulbous flowering plant native to Mexico. Known previously by the scientific name Polianthes tuberosa, it was later reclassified as Agave amica by Carl Linnaeus in 1753. Belonging to the family Asparagaceae, it is a distant relative of hyacinth and asparagus. It is not related to the rose but originates from the Latin “tuberosa” which refers to the plant’s tuberous root system. They are largely grown for their aesthetic and aromatic value.
The carnal flower meaning comes from tuberose being known as the universal flower of passion that ignites one’s innermost desires. It is known as the queen as the night as it blossoms only at night. Tuberose is the diva of the perfume industry and valued highly for its luxurious fragrance. It seduces the air with a honey-like scent that resembles the heaviness of jasmine or gardenia. It is found in India, Egypt, Morocco, Italy, Spain, France and thrives in warm climates. Its blooming season is from early to peak summer.
Its characteristic features include star-shaped flowers that grow as florets on top of a sturdy stem. They sprout as spikes from the bulb and form slightly succulent rosettes of leaves at the bottom. They are found in colors of pearly white, pastel pink, pale blue and gilded yellow. Based on the rows of petals they have, the carnal blooms are of four types: single, semi-double, double and variegated. They are famous as cut flowers and garlands as their scent lasts for a long time after being removed from the stem.
What Do Carnal Flowers Symbolize
The carnal flower meaning stands for the most passionate form of love, temptation and attraction.
– Passion: The primary carnal flower meaning is exactly what name indicates it is. Its seductive fragrance symbolises dangerous delights and the wildest pleasure. A crazy romantic adventure awaits the receiver of this flower. They make a great choice for your lover before embarking on an intimate escapade.
– Obsession: Its intoxicating scent easily entices the one who catches its scent. They are flowers that symbolise a love that consumes your body, mind and soul. The obsession is often titillating in nature and refuses to let you move on.
– Decadence: The carnal flower is one of the most popular and prized ingredients in the perfume manufacturing industry. Its potent scent is mixed with oils and scents to create captivating perfumes that represent hedonism. The scent is either used as a standalone fragrance or combined with other mixtures. Aromatic oils are also extracted from it.
– Victorian Flower Language: In the Victorian era, this flower would have been gifted only by the most daring rogue to their lover. It came with promises of voluptuousness and primordial passion. As a result, young women were not allowed to smell the fragrance to discourage erotic impulses.
– Weddings: In many South Asian countries like India and Bangladesh, the tuberose is a piquant stunner used in wedding arrangements and garlands. In Hawaiian traditional weddings, brides wear tuberose leis. It is also used in wedding bouquets in Western countries.
What Do the Various Colors of the Carnal Flower Mean
Contrary to the typical interpretations of white, the white carnal flower meaning is the ultimate symbol of lust and gratification. Its long-lasting sultry scent is guaranteed to sinfully and treacherously enchant your partner. It indicates anticipation of rapturous times and is commonly used to decorate the bridal room of newlyweds in Asian cultures.
– Light Pink
The light pink carnal flower symbolises the beginning stages of love when everything feels like “La Vie en rose” or life experienced through rose-tinted glasses. It stands for excitement, ecstasy and promises of a great romance. Gifting a bouquet of these pale pink beauties is bound to sweep your lover off their feet!
The blue carnal flower meaning represents fidelity, reliability, security and extravagance. Nothing screams, “I love you and I’m always here for you” like these flowers! Gifting these blue blooms to your significant other on Valentine’s day or after a fight ought to say that you will forever be their most devoted believer.
The yellow carnal flower embodies a love that flourishes openly and bravely under the sun and breaks away from the secrecy of closed curtains. Due to their rare occurrence, the yellow blooms are a unique choice for your special someone. They make a great choice for proposals and public declarations of love!
Fusing the sweet pink hues with the bolder purple ones, the pink-sapphire carnal flower meaning proves love is blind to man-made boundaries like color, shape or size. It is inclusive of various ages, gender identities, ethnicities, languages and more. It delivers the message of “I love you in every universe” and says what matters is “you” and not the state of the person.
Interesting Facts and Characteristics of the Carnal Flower
– The tuberoses have taken over the perfume world since the 17th century. Renowned French queen Marie Antoinette first popularized the flower when she asked for a perfume that blended the scents of tuberose, orange blossom, jasmine and sandalwood. It was known as Sillage de la Reine.
– The flowers go by the names of rajnigandha in India and sedap malam in Indonesia. Both names mean “aroma of the night”. It is even used for cooking some Indonesian dishes.
– Tuberoses are a bestseller in the global florist industry. Their naturally extracted pure scent is also a coveted product that is very expensive. It require a ton of tuberose blooms to make about 200g of the fragrance and one ounce of it is valued for over $600.
– Its formidable yet delightful scent is of help in aromatherapy where it is used to calm the nerves and boost mental health.
– Legend has it that carnal flowers were cultivated by the ancient Aztecs who used it as an ingredient in making chocolates.
– Famous perfumes have used the tuberose’s scent such as Carnal Flower by Frédéric Malle. It can also be found in Turbulences by Louis Vuitton, Tendre Poison by Dior, Giorgio Beverly Hills by Karl Lagerfeld, Gabrielle by Chanel and Tubéreuse Mystique by Bulgari.
– Tuberoses are a multipurpose flower than can be used in artistic wreathes, floral ornaments, corsages, wedding floral arrangements, altar decoration, bouquets, buttonholes, gardens and landscapes.
Best Time to Gift Someone Carnal Flowers
Since the carnal flower meaning ultimately refers to the all-consuming power of love, it can be used for a multitude of romantic situations like first dates, proposals, weddings, honeymoons, anniversaries and Valentine’s Day. The flower makes a great choice for celebrating different types of love so they can be used for gifting your partner during Pride month. No matter who you are, the overpowering symbolism of the flower and its racy fragrance are bound to leave your heart racing and blood pumping. They come in handy as a gift for a special night signifying everything bold and tantalizing that lies ahead. In some Asian countries like India, the flowers are even offered in worship to God. They are an inherent part of wedding floral arrangements and bouquets. They can also be gifted to plant lovers who would love to welcome a sweet-scented newcomer to their garden!