Last updated on May 20th, 2023 at 07:08 pm
The Casablanca flower, also known as Lilium Casa Blanca or the Oriental Lily Casa Blanca, is a perennial bulb belonging to the Lilium family. Casablanca Oriental lilies belonged to the lily family and were developed as a hybrid variety of oriental lilies. These unmistakably gorgeous white lilies are specifically bred for their beauty.
The magnificent and fragrant blooms of the oriental Casablanca lily are large, outward-facing trumpet or bowl-shaped flowers. These flowers have gracefully and elegantly recurved milky-white petals with contrasting red-orange anthers in the center.
Each Casablanca lily plant can produce between 6-8 flowers per stem. Each flower has six pristine white petals with tiny dots that line the centerline. The bright red or red-orange anthers stand out in stark contrast and lend a unique beauty to the flowers. Casablanca lilies are also highly fragrant and can liven up any room or occasion with their sweetly scented blooms.
What does the Casablanca flower symbolize?
The singular and unique oriental Casablanca flower meaning is universally accepted. These flowers represent the joy and happiness of celebrations and all the emotions that come from celebrating life’s milestones and purpose.
In Christian weddings, white or Casablanca lilies are popularly used. This practice stems from the ancient association of white with purity and virginity. White lilies, including the Casablanca lily and the Madonna lily, are used in religious ceremonies, chapels, and churches as a symbol of the Virgin Mary.
While lilies, especially Casablanca flowers, are a sign of cheer and celebration, they symbolize grief. They are used in bouquets during funerals and wakes to convey our condolences to the deceased’s family members.
The Casablanca flower’s meaning does not express joy or happiness only but is also a beautiful reminder of a life well lived. These flowers are popularly used in memorial services and funerals to symbolize peace, serenity, and life’s passing.
These serene white flowers testify to life’s mortality and beautifully convey our sadness upon someone’s passing in a way that cannot be done with words.
All in all, the casablanca flower symbolic meanings are:
Meaning of the Casablanca flower colors
While oriental hybrid lilies come in a wide variety of colors, such as white, pink, red, purple, orange, and yellow, the Casablanca lily is an exclusively white-colored flower. The milky white petals of the Casablanca are unique, just as the universally accepted singular meaning of celebration associated with the flower.
The color white beautifully represents the Casablanca flower’s meaning of celebration, which symbolizes the flower’s association with purity, love, happiness, grief, and femininity.
These flowers are used almost exclusively in white-themed floral arrangements and decorations. The symbolic Casablanca flower meaning makes it a versatile flower that can be used on various special occasions and celebrations.
Interesting facts about the Casablanca flowers
- The Oriental Casablanca Lily is a hybrid oriental variety that the Royal Horticultural Society has classified. This lily has been regarded as the best white oriental lily ever by horticulture professionals! In 1993, it won the prestigious Award of Garden Merit from the Royal Horticultural Society.
- In addition to making for excellent cut flowers, the beauty of the oriental Casablanca lily also makes it a perfect border plant. These exquisite flowers can set off and contrast with more colorful blooms. They make wonderful additions to the borders of flower beds in gardens or containers.
- As beautiful as these flowers may be, like most varieties of lilies, the Casablanca lily is extremely toxic to cats. If consumed by cats, these lilies can cause kidney damage and liver toxicity, even in very small quantities. So make sure to keep your little feline companions away from lily plants. Curious as cats can be, it is best to grow these lilies outdoors if you have feline companions at home.
How to grow Casablanca flowers
Casablanca lilies are perennial flowering plants that grow from bulbs. These lilies are relatively hardy and easy to grow and maintain. The plants grow up to 3-4 feet in height and 1-2 feet in width. They have rigid stems with linear dark green leaves. Fully bloomed Casablanca lilies can measure up to 10 inches in diameter!
- Plant the Casablanca in well-drained soil.
- Place the plant in a spot with full sun to partial shade
- Add mulch to keep the roots cool and preserve moisture in the soil.
- Amend soil with compost if needed to ensure plenty of organic material.
- Water the Casablanca regularly to keep the soil moist.
How to care for Casablanca flowers
- Give Casablanca more water during the growing season and when the weather is dry.
- When new growth emerges, apply a low-nitrogen fertilizer once yearly in the spring.
- Deadhead flowers after they bloom but do not disturb the foliage.
- Cut back the leaves and stem as they turn yellow.
Best time to gift Casablanca flowers
As you know, the Casablanca lily is the perfect symbol of celebration. These flowers are representative of the joy and love of life. These flowers make for excellent gifts to announce an upcoming celebration, such as the birth of a child, a marriage, or even the celebration of a loved one through a memorial service.
The white Casablanca lilies make great birthday gifts and romantic bouquets to be given during engagements, marriage ceremonies, and anniversaries.
They also symbolize a life well lived during the funeral of a loved one. As a symbol of purity, beauty, innocence, and joy, the Casablanca lily is an appropriate gift for momentous life occasions such as births, weddings, and funerals.
Casablanca flowers are very popular in the floral industry as hybrid lilies. They make for excellent floral displays and are popular choices for various occasions. Only three or four large blooms are required to make a beautiful bouquet or centerpiece for any occasion. These large blooms are strikingly beautiful and bound to draw onlookers’ attention and admiration.
The Casablanca flower’s meaning is unique. In general, the pure white Casablanca flower symbolizes celebrations, the singular and unique meaning of the oriental Casablanca lily.
These flowers are used to celebrate all kinds of events and occasions. They are used to celebrate love, affection, marriages, births, and even deaths. They are a mainstay on most special occasions celebrating the joy of living.