Daylily Flower: Meaning, Symbolism, and Colors
Daylilies have been treasured by people all over the world for centuries for their beauty. Its strong, yet beautiful floral scent makes them even more beautiful. Daylilies are also one of the most carefree flowering plants that grow almost anywhere in the world with any soil. There are a lot of other kinds of lilies that you will find in the market, but Daylilies have a unique beauty and charm.
These flowers are loved by every person and if you see a garden full of Daylilies, you will be mesmerized by their beauty. Daylilies have been around for a long time. We can find references for this flower in the Greek as well as Chinese mythologies. With time, even more species of this particular flower have developed.
Even though the name Daylilies suggest the term ‘Lily’ in it, this flower is quite different from Lilies. Although both the flowers have a similar shape, the lilies fall under a different family, the Liliaceae family. The Daylily is also known as the perfect perennial as it is available in a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes. This flower also starts blooming in late spring and keeps blooming until autumn.
Scientifically named, Hemerocallis, Daylily also belongs to the Asphodelaceae plant family. The scientific term, Hemerocallis, is derived from two Greek words ‘Hemera’ meaning ‘day’, and ‘Kelles’ meaning ‘beauty’. This beautifully describes the flowing as the one that blooms with the sunrise and withers at sunset. It blooms every day. Daylily flower meaning has its roots in the way it blooms every single day. Each flower lasts only one day, and you can also find many flower buds on this plant.
Although Daylilies are available all over the world these days, this flower is native to Asia, Europe, and North America. Since the 1930s, a lot of work has been done towards hybridizing Daylilies. As a result of which, you can find a variety of colors like – white, yellows, pastels, reds, oranges, purples, and even blues. If you walk down the streets of North America, you will find the roadside filled with yellow and orange color Daylilies.
What Do Daylily Flower Symbolize?
Daylily flower meaning and symbolism go back to Greek mythology. According to Greek mythology, Zeus, the unfaithful husband of Hera, had a son named Hercules with a mortal woman named Alceme. Even though his mother was a mortal, Zeus wanted Hercules to have supernatural powers. So, he brought Hercules and fed him Hera’s milk while she was asleep. When Hera woke up, she removed the child, and the milk fell into the universe and formed the Milky Way. The drop of milk that fell on earth gave rise to the first lily flower.
Daylily Flower meaning and symbolization have another important history attached to them. In China, a lot of pregnant mothers who want to bear a son, wear this flower. It is believed that this flower has the power to fulfill their dream to give birth to a suitable boy. This flower symbolizes the relationship between a mother and son.
The other significant Daylily flower meaning and symbolism include –
- Western World – Daylily flower meaning is related to the Virgin Mary, the mother of Jesus. Its symbolizes innocence and purity.
- China – In China, other than signifying the love of a mother and a son, Daylily also means “Wong Yu” meaning forgetting all the worries. It is believed that Daylilies help people to forget the bad things in the past and move forward.
- In some parts of the world, this flower also symbolizes flirtation. Daylilies bloom in the morning and wither during the sunset symbolizing a relationship that is only for fun and will never turn into anything serious.
What Do the Various Colors of the Daylily Flower Mean?
Daylilies are perennial flowers and have a huge variety of colors. Each color of Daylilies signifies different things. The various colors and Daylily flower meaning are enlisted for you –
- White – The white Daylilies signify purity, innocence, and truth. It is also related to spirituality and faith.
- Red – The red Daylilies signifies love and passion. The color symbolizes your love for your romantic partner. Daylilies also symbolize flirtations and this color would also symbolize love and passion that will not last for long.
- Pink – The pink Daylilies signify joy, happiness, prosperity, and abundance. Pink Daylilies are a great gifting option for your friends, parents, and your loved ones. This color of the flower symbolizes that you wish them a happy and prosperous life.
- Yellow – The yellow Daylilies signify thankfulness. It shows how grateful you are to someone for helping you out during a tough time. It shows your gratitude towards them.
- Orange – The orange Daylilies indicate pride, wealth, and confidence. The bright and bold color of the flower is a great gifting option when you want the other person to become confident and trust themselves.
Interesting Facts And Characteristics of the Daylily Flower
The Daylily is not only a beautiful and strong-scented flower, but it also has some interesting traits related to it. Here are some of them for you –
- Daylilies are available in 15 species.
- These are valuable in almost every part of the work – starting from East Asia to Central Europe.
- In the Elizabethan era, these flowers had medicinal properties and cure fever, wounds, and arthritis as well.
- Because of their beautiful aroma, they are used to making perfumes, anti-aging creams, and cosmetics. It was also believed that a mixture of lilies petals with honey would remove aging marks on the skin.
- In some parts of China, people eat Daylilies. They stir-fry them or make soups.
Best Time to Gift Someone Daylily Flowers
There is no specific time to gift Daylilies to someone, you could gift them to anyone for any occasion. But, due to its significance in motherhood, it would be great to gift this to your mom on Mother’s Day. This would signify your appreciation and thankfulness to them for all the things that they had to go through to raise a child. It is a great way to recognize their efforts as a mother.
You could also gift this flower to someone who is starting a new chapter in their life as it would indicate your best wishes to them. You can also gift red or pink Daylilies to people you love and adore.
There are numerous positive symbols of the Daylily flower and gifting it to anyone would only bring them joy and happiness. Its beauty and fragrance, but also its symbolization and meaning make it absolutely precious.