Last updated on May 20th, 2023 at 11:39 pm
Goldenrod flower (common name) is scientifically known as Solidago. Solidago comes from Latin, where solido means ‘heal’ and ago means ‘to make.’ The tall goldenrod is a member of the sunflower family, Asteraceae. It is a yellow-golden color flower with 100 different species. It holds a faint smell like licorice. They are composite flowers, and some look like each other. It can grow as long as 6 feet.
Different cultures gave it different names, like the French call ‘verge d or.’ In German, it is known as ‘Goldrute.’ Farmers have always given it an encroaching review adding more value to the goldenrod flower’s meaning. Some also treat them like weeds and waste species and remove them. Some species, like sweet goldenrod, have a charming smell that attracts bees and butterflies.
It is normally found in North America and some parts of Asia and Europe. Most of its species are grown and used in the United States. Canada has a variety of goldenrod flowers. They grow on the roadside and in the wild without much care. Its invasive species are found in the eastern and southern parts of China and Japan.
What does the Goldenrod (Solidago) flower symbolize?
The goldenrod (solidago) flower conveys messages of encouragement and positivity. It is used to celebrate new ventures and good news. This bright color flower helps to alleviate mood and good thoughts. The flower is supposed to deliver good fortune and creativity to the recipient.
The goldenrod belongs to the sunflower family, so it symbolizes a warm yellow color. Because of its golden color, it is related to wealth and prosperity.
These flowers are used as a symbol of new beginnings. You can see this flower in decoration at weddings, graduation parties, new jobs, and birthdays.
Goldenrod flower also means good luck and sincerity. It is known to relieve depression.
Flowers from ancient times have been used for their meaningful structure and color. Goldenrod is such a flower that represents human emotions in a simple form.
It is used for gifting. Like its color, it brings joy to people’s lives.
All in all, the goldenrod (solidago) flower symbolic meanings are:
- good fortune
- good luck
- pioneering spirit
Meaning of the Goldenrod (Solidago) flower colors
It’s a golden yellow flower with a hint of orange that looks like a sunny day. The goldenrod (solidago) flower represents peacefulness, hope, and warmth. Some rich yellow, more like the golden color of the flower, means royalty, pride, and grace. The yellow color resembles support and positivity. For the recipient, this flower means support and happiness. It has many species of showy goldenrod, anise-scented goldenrod.
Solidago loves the sun and always forms crowns of small yellow flowers on top of the stem, pointing at the sky. The golden color in flowers typically symbolizes richness and beauty. In the case of the solidago, the richness can be an abundance of good health and good fortune.
Scientific name Solidago bicolor is another species of goldenrod (solidago) flower that has white color. It is the only color available other than yellow. It has poisonous berries and leaves.
The white goldenrod is different from all other goldenrod, given its flowers’ white–silver color. Unlike its yellow cousins, the white goldenrod form clusters around the thin stems rather than branching into big crowns. White color in flowers typically symbolizes peace and support, which goes hand in hand with the healing qualities of the solidago.
Interesting facts about the Goldenrod (Solidago) flowers
- There are many myths and false rumors about the goldenrod (solidago) flowers—they are falsely accused of causing hay fever in humans. The truth is the pollen that causes hay fever comes from ragweed, which blooms simultaneously with solidago.
- Solidago nectar attracts many insects like bees, wasps, and butterflies. As a result, it is also used for honey production.
- Goldenrods naturally contain rubber, and Thomas Edison once conducted experiments on the plant to use it for rubber production. The rubber produced in his experiments was used to make tires on a Ford Model T car gifted to him by Henry Ford.
- All species of solidago are edible and also said to be nutritious.
- It has an important mention in history; the tea made from goldenrod is named ‘liberty tea.’ During the British taxation period, this was the only tea served.
- This flower was the first runner in the list of national flowers for a long time. It is the state flower in the USA—Nebraska, and Kentucky. It is a state herb for Delaware. South Carolina, in 2003, adopted a tall goldenrod as its wildflower. In Alabama, goldenrod gave tough competition to camellia for their state flower, but unfortunately, camellia won.
How to grow Goldenrod (Solidago) flowers
Goldenrod (solidago) is a human-friendly flower. It is not dangerous for children and animals. They are non-allergic to us. However, some species are invasive and poisonous. Invasive species must be planted far away from home in the wild forests. It can survive in harsh climate conditions. It grows very fast. Due to this nature, it is often considered a weed and cut out.
- Plant the goldenrod in well-drained soil with a pH in the acidic-to-neutral range.
- Place them in a spot with full sun for optimal flowering.
- Water new plants weekly to maintain damp but not soggy soil.
- Spread a layer of compost in the spring if the soil quality is poor or you wish to boost your plants to increase their height.
How to care for Goldenrod (Solidago) flowers
- Keep the soil of goldenrod moist at all times.
- Deadhead spent flower heads to prolong the bloom season well into fall.
- Remove the flower heads before they go to seed to prevent rampant self-seeding.
- Cut the plant stalks back to a few inches above ground level at the end of the season or in late winter.
Best time to gift Goldenrod (Solidago) flowers
The beauty and brightness of goldenrod (solidago) flowers mean that you can gift them at any time. They are already used in various garden and event decorations since they have much positive symbolism.
However, considering the exact nature of goldenrod flowers, they may be best gifted to loved ones recovering from an illness. Since these flowers are most well known for their healing properties, this would be the most appropriate flower to give as a gift at such a time.
If you don’t want to only associate goldenrod flowers with the negative mood of illnesses, they can also be gifted during childbirth. They will convey good health for both mother and child and a healthy recovery for the mother. Goldenrod flowers symbolize support and encouragement and are the perfect gift in such situations.
Goldenrod flowers bring good fortune, so they would be a perfect gift for someone taking the plunge into a new business or career.
This flower also encourages bringing out our creative side. So, it’s a good gift for painters and artists. If you know some creative people, send these to motivate them.
This is well-suited for people who are going through the loss of a loved one. The people who are having a tough time lately can be gifted with flowers. A goldenrod flower will make them cheerful and encourage them to move on.
The goldenrod (solidago) flowers are a beautiful family of flowers. They bring good health and peace to the natural world and the gardens it inhabits. It is a symbol of positivity, representing all things good in this world, and is ideal to be grown in your backyard or gifted to your loved ones.
People observe that this flower alleviates mood and resolves depression. Its important use is to cure illness. Like its symbol, its uses are versatile too. It is used for decoration, as a tea infuser, for medicinal purposes, and as a dye. Even in dry form, it is well used all year round.
Overall, the goldenrod is truly a golden standard in the world of flora.
If you want to know and learn more about flowers, we at PansyMaiden can help you. Check out our fun, easy-to-read, and informative flower-related content that you will surely enjoy!