Belonging to the amaranth family, Amaranthaceae, Celosia is a genus of plants which are edible as well as ornamental. They are also known as Wool Flowers, Cockscombs, or Red Fox. They are said to have originated in the highlands of East Africa. In Swahili, these flowers are called Mfungu. The Celosia plant is native to Africa, Southeast Asia, and South America.
The botanical name, Celosia, is a derivative of Keleos, an ancient Greek word. Keleos means ‘burning’, referring to the plant’s flower head which resembles a bunch of flame. The celosia is grown as a perennial plant in the warmer regions with USDA zones 9 and above. Celosia is grown as an annual plant for most of the zones. As a perennial, it blooms every spring, remaining dormant during winter. It should not be exposed to frost as the plant cannot tolerate it.
The Celosia flower plant can grow from 6 inches to 36 inches (15.24 cm to 91.44 cm). The leaves are blue-green with a glossy texture. The flowers can be red, pink, purple, gold, or bi-colored.
The Celosia flower plant prefers well-drained and moist soil. It thrives in soil with a pH of 6.0 to 7.0. It needs at least 6 hours of direct sunlight per day. The plant should be watered regularly.
What do Celosia flower symbolize?
The Celosia flower symbolizes boldness and courage. It is a very unusual flower. There are different symbolism associated with the Celosia flower meaning.
The Celosia flower meaning symbolizes undying love in some cultures. As it flowers from summer to autumn, it radiates vibrancy and brightness, even when the season becomes dreary. It is believed to possess the power of love.
The Celosia flower plant is a very resilient plant. It does not lose its strength and beauty even during harsh weather. Due to its hardiness, the Celosia flower meaning has come to symbolize strength and immortality.
What do the color of the Celosia flower mean?
The Celosia flower meaning gets a more profound depth by its colors. Red is the most common shade found in the blooms of this plant. But the purple, yellow, and pink blooms have also become quite popular.
The celosia plant has over 50 different species but can be mainly divided into three types, Crested Celosia, Plumed Celosia, and Spiked Celosia.
Crested Celosia (Celosia Cristata):
The flower head of the Celosia Cristata resembles the red crown of roosters, which gives it the name Cockscomb Celosia. It can be found in shades of pink, orange, red, white, and yellow.
Plumed Celosia (Celosia Argentea):
This Celosia flower is also known as Silver Cockscomb. It blooms from mid-spring to summer. It is a popular ornamental flower. The flowers bloom in an arrowhead shape with feathery textures. This Celosia flower can be found in the shades of pink to light violet.
Spiked Celosia (Celosia Spicata):
The Celosia Spicata also goes by the name Wheat Celosia because of its flower spikes which resembles the wheat sheaves. This Celosia flower can be found in the shades of rose-pink, white, dark red or bi-colored.
Interesting facts and characteristics of the Celosia flower
The Celosia flower is multifaceted. It is easy to grow and care for. It has many interesting facts and characteristics. Some of them are as below:
- The Celosia flower can be used as a cut flower in bouquets.
- The Celosia flower plant thrives in well-drained soil, rich in organic matter.
- They are very easily dispersed through wind, water, and animal feces as the seeds are very tiny.
- As a food item, the Celosia plant is very popular. The leaves and stems are used in stews. They have mild spinach like taste. They are often combined with garlic, fresh lime, hot pepper, and red palm oil.
- The Celosia flower plant is often cultivated as a leafy green vegetable.
- The Celosia flower is a very popular ingredient used in soups and maize porridge in Congo and Benin.
- The Celosia flower is highly nutritious. It is rich in iron, protein, calcium, vitamin A and C, and phosphorous.
- There are many medicinal uses of the Celosia flower. It can be used in the treatment of blood diseases, tapeworm, chest problems, mouth ulcers, diarrhea, and problems of the eye.
- The Celosia flower has a soothing herbal fragrance.
- There is a belief that if pregnant women dream of the Celosia flower, they will be having a daughter.
- If a single woman dream of the Celosia flower, it means she will soon meet her true love. Man dreaming of this flower means he will attract prosperity.
- The rooster is considered an auspicious animal in the Chinese culture. It is believed to have the power to ward off evil spirits. The Celosia flower meaning is deeply engraved in this culture. It is believed to attract luck.
- The Celosia flowers were used in rituals, religious ceremonies, and mourning in ancient times.
- In Mexico, the Celosia flowers are used to adorn churches, altars, and shrines. During the Day of the Dead celebrations, they are used to decorate the graves.
- The Celosia flowers are perfect choice for fall wedding bouquet due to their red and orange hues.
- The Celosia flowers are often attacked by spider mites and aphids if not kept in a healthy condition. They can be treated by spraying with organic pesticide and fungicide.
Best time to gift someone Celosia flowers
The Celosia flower meaning make it a perfect flower to be gifted when you want to wish someone courage. The many vibrant colors and shapes make the Celosia flower an ideal addition to a gift bouquet for any occasion. It is the traditional flower in some cultures where it is gifted during Labor Day and football parties. As the Celosia flower meaning symbolizes love and warmth, it can also be gifted as a romantic gesture.
The stunning bright flowers of the Celosia plant make it a popular choice for floral arrangements and bridal bouquets. The velvety texture of the flower also gives it the name Velvet Flower. They add a dramatic statement to a floral arrangement and a nutritional value to a delicious meal.